Saturday, June 21, 2008

I am anti death penalty.

She didn't make it.
But these guys can.




Those of you who know me, know that I try to volunteer some of my time to animals in some way. At one point it was even at the zoo. Now, I volunteer by writing ads for shelter dogs that are going to get put down if they aren't adopted. It's so rewarding when these dogs get adopted- I was lucky enough to have my cousins adopt one, so I get to see the joy that their little rescued westie brings to their lives. The part that isn't so rewarding, however, is the part that is inevitible- some of these dogs don't get adopted. One of my favorites got put down yesterday, and so I thought I would dedicate this post to him, and all the shelter pets.

There are purepred, mixed bred, "designer" bred, and mystery bred dogs and cats at the shelter right now. These animals aren't there through any fault of their own- they are there because their owners moved and didn't want to take the time to find them a new home, or family member developed an allergy, because the landlord suddenly decided "no pets" (some of these I think are just jerks that are too self-absorbed to think before they get a pet, "Hey, can I really commit to this animal?"). I'm not even lying, you type in a breed you're looking for and there will be matches of all ages and locations. If you're thinking of bringing a pet into your life, please go to PetFinder.com and put in your search info. I can promise you- shelter dogs have more love to give.

No comments: