Monday, June 2, 2008

Oh The Places You'll Go!












This year, during our non-existant spring break (this year, they decided to nix it, and then decided to restore it again next year... in ninth grade we got jipped out of our zoo fieldtrip, too- the class of 2008 just got ripped off like a roll of TP) my A'Cappella choir class got to go to San Francisco. I will not hesitate in saying that I really, really loved it, and would not mind living there, were it not for the abundance of drug deals going on in front of one of the cathedrals. And the creepy drunk clown that followed us around and asked us personal questions. I digress. For the most part, I enjoyed it immensely. It was definitely worth the eleven hour bus ride (should have been eight, but our busdriver got us lost, and also went over speed bumps so fast it made you wonder if you had just hit a small, beached orca rather than a speed bump, because the jarring made you hit your head and split open your shin on the foot rest bar) and the gummy fruits melting to my jeans. As it turns out, I kind of love SanFran.
One of my favorite parts was the pearl place. They have a huge tank of these oysters, and you pick one, and then they let you pry it open and poke out the pearl (but not before knocking the table or ringing the bell and yelling "ALOHA!" at the pearl, because apparently, pearls need a birthing ceremony or something) and then you clean up the pearl and you get to pick the setting you put it in and everything. I kind of went overboard and bought three pearls. All went to good use though! One for me, one for my mom, and one for my little sister's eighth birthday. I was lucky, and none of them were plain white or flawed, some of the people there didn't get a pearl in their first oyster, and if they did, alot of them were ugly and/or plain white. Mine were blue, pink, and cream.
Another fond experience there was the A's game. We sang the national anthem there, and also got to see Ludicris throw the opening pitch. He had to pitch two because the first one ended up very far away from its intended destination. There is a reason he is a rapper and not an athlete. As it turns out though, baseball games are only entertaining for so long. The Oakland Athletics lost by one point and I became very, very bored. That is probably going to be my last baseball game. Then we had quite the contrast of experience by going straight to visit the Oakland LDS temple. Can I just inform you that it is lovely?
Then there was Brian the firedancer guy. He was pretty cool. He asked me and my two friends if we wanted to go clubbing with him at some place called Crimson Sky or Red Sky or something like that, but we didn't think that would be the best idea.
Singing in the Grace Cathedral was also an awesome experience. It took me back to Europe for a little bit.
So what is the point of this entire post? Nothing really. I just wanted to show my pictures.

2 comments:

Mr. Christopher said...

ALI!

Amy said...

Great pictures, al. you're really talented!